I am fast approaching the end of my third decade. On December 18th I will be thirty years old. Now I can safely say that I am one of “those people” who can begin sentences with “I remember twenty years ago when…”. The last ten years of my life have been a remarkable journey with Jesus. I am dedicating this blog to that journey and taking a look at the changes that have taken place in my life since then. Ten years ago:
1) MXPX was my favorite band. Now I can honestly say that their music resembles noisy muppets.
2) I attended a non-charismatic mega-church with a lot of wealthy Southern people. I am now a member of a small spirit-filled ministry in a small town in Minnesota.
3) I was filling out applications to attend college. I still have not finished that degree.
4) I didn’t know who I was and tried to find my identity in a romantic relationship. Now, I find my identity in the love of God and the destiny the Father speaks over my life.
5) I thought tattoos on boys were hot. Now I think they are ridiculous.
6) I had a short “dharma” cut (made famous by Dharma from the tv show “Dharma and Greg”). I now have long “er” hair that is desperate need of the scissors.
7) I had no money. Some things never change. I think I am now back to the same salary I was receiving when I was 20.
8) I was working as a pre-school teacher at an inner city Christian school. I now work at a small-town law office as a secretary.
9) I co-owned a house with a boy. I now rent a room in a house with three other women.
10) I basically thought my dreams of being in ministry were over. I am having those dreams fulfilled right now as a member of the Firestarters.
Thank you Jesus… especially for changing my taste in music… errr just kidding… and for changing my taste in tattoos.